As much as I tried to convince 'my mind' I'd be OK to race, 'my body' told me otherwise. Thank you to all the supporters for your words of encouragement. Its the hardest decision to stop fighting a loosing battle. I don't regret lining up for a minute. You never know what is possible if your not prepared to try. Based on feedback during the race (fatigue & no power), I made the right decision to stop. I saw my GP in Sydney after the event. I'd been unusually tired and irritable since Forster and had a virus. Big picture I needed a break.
There was still lots of positives from the experience and the trip. Highlights included:
- My Swim, managed to stay in a pack and split under the hour.
- Catching up with my sponsors at the Expo: Specialized Australia (thank you also to Fat Duck Cycles & Espresso for servicing my Shiv), Tim Perkins/Compressport, John Hill/High 5 and Damon Hughes/FuelBelt. Also thanks to Nicole/Aqua Shop for fitting my Blue Seventy Helix race morning - felt awesome and much happier in the swim :-)
- Going to the movies to relax and switch off.
- My homestay family - Jo and Trevor who made me feel so welcome. A note of thanks to Ash who assisted with my accommodation. This support was greatly appreciated and staying with a local family was definitely a highlight to my trip.
- Volunteer support. Jo and Trevor, their family and friends, volunteer for this event each year. It was great to hear more about the volunteer experience and the character building stories which come with it! :-)
- Catching up with a great bunch of pro girls. We had a talented group of Aussie, Kiwi and international athletes in the mix.
- Meeting Liz Lyles. Liz is a Mum of two and traveled to IMWA solo, won the race + went under 9 hours! Your a real legend mate, a huge talent and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet you personally as part of the trip. What an inspiration for women in sport.
- Seeing my good friend Lisa podium with a break through Ironman performance. You have worked extremely hard Lis, also as a single Mum, and achieved a result so well deserved.
2013 Season Wrap Up!
My amazing sponsor and support team environment - Bec's A Team :-)
Gilsey my legend coach who I've been working with for the past 8 years. Love working with you mate!
- Core strength and stability
- Maintaining a consistent and simple routine, including recovery
- Fueling my body right
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger :-) ...
Focusing on one career not two has been the best decision I have ever made in terms of balance, health and happiness. I've created a window of opportunity to focus solely on a life as a professional triathlete. I've started to study again (Cert 3 and 4 in PT) and making steps towards a long term vision in triathlon, health and fitness. I feel I've made positive lifestyle changes towards my passion in sport and family. 2014 there is a lot to look forward to...
Have a wonderful and safe Christmas everyone! xo